Varoufakis ao telefone

(atenção, o excerto da transcrição constitui uma conversa descontextualizada, pelo que se recomenda a leitura integral do documento, em http://www.omfif.org/media/1122791/omfif-telephone-conversation-between-yanis-varoufakis-norman-lamont-and-david-marsh-16-july-2015.pdf)

Yanis Varoufakis: Now let me tell you, and I think this quite a fascinating story, what difficulties I faced. The general secretariat of public revenues within my ministry is controlled fully and directly by the Troika. It was not under the control of my ministry and of me as minister; it was controlled by Brussels. The general secretary was appointed effectively through a process that is Troika-controlled and the whole mechanism within, in fact as if the Inland Revenue in the United Kingdom was being controlled by Brussels – I am sure as you are hearing these words your hair is standing on end. Ok, that was problem number one. The general secretariat of information systems, on the other hand, was controlled by me as minister. I appointed a good friend of mine, a childhood friend of mine, who had become a professor of IT at Columbia University in the States and so on. I put him there because I trusted him to develop the system. At some point, a week or so after we moved into the ministry, he calls me up and says to me, ‘You know what, I control the machines, I control the hardware, I do not control the software, the software belongs to the Troika-controlled general secretariat of public revenues. What do we do?’ So we had a meeting, just the two of us, nobody else knew. And he said, ‘Listen, if I ask for permission from them to start implementing this programme, then the Troika will immediately know that we are designing a parallel system.’ I said, ‘That won’t do, we cannot reveal our hand at this stage.’ So I authorised him … And you can’t tell anyone that, it’s totally something we should not pass on …

David Marsh: There are certainly others listening, but [jocular] they will not tell it to their friends…


Yanis Varoufakis: I know, I know, I know they are. And even if they do, I’ll deny that I said it [laughing] ... So, we decided to hack into my ministry’s own software programme in order to be able to bring it all up, to just copy the code, the code of the tax system’s website, on to a large computer in his office, so as to work out how to design and implement this parallel payment system. And we were ready to get the green light from the prime minister, when the banks closed, in order to move into the general secretariat of public revenues, which was not controlled by us but is controlled by Brussels, and to plug this laptop in and to energise the system. So I’m trying to tell you the kind of institutional problems that we have, the institutional impediments to carrying out an independent policy for ameliorating the effects of having our banks closed down by the ECB.


Sem comentários: